Sunday, January 5, 2020

Talk Less

The beginning of a new year.
For me, it’s always been like a fresh clean slate.
A blank sheet of paper in a journal.

And with the turning of a calendar year, I am inspired to make life changes.
With the dawning of a new decade, I am more determined than ever to set goals, and invite the Holy Spirit in to do the work needed to grow me into the person God created me to be.

With that comes some difficult assignments.
But necessary nonetheless.

And I had said it to a friend recently, “I have to learn how to say less.”

And for me, at least, there is so much truth in this one phrase.  And for so many reasons.

Because I tend to talk… a lot.
And in doing so I tend to say more than I should.  Share more than is necessary.  Expose more than was intended.  And with that often comes immediate regret, inevitable disappointment, destructive discontentment.

Sometimes I can feel the soul damage almost instantaneously.
It feels more like a contamination… a pollution… a disturbance to my spiritual well being.
I will feel as though I have worked so hard to develop character steeped in passion and fervor, only to be compromised in an instance by the words I allow to spew from my mouth.

And just because it seems unintentional doesn’t reduce the injurious affect it has on my personal growth and the reputation of the One I claim to serve and follow.

I must learn to talk less.

We face a slippery slope when we talk too much.
Proverbs 10:19 says this, “Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut.”

We invite trouble when we talk too much.
Proverbs 21:23 says, “Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble.”

The Psalmist prayed for it - and so much I.
Psalm 141:3, “Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!”

You and I will give an account for every word we’ve spoken.  Every one.
Matthew 12:36 says, “I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak…”
There are consequences for the words I speak.
Proverbs 18:21, “The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.”

We are deemed intelligent by staying quiet in these hard days of evil.
Amos 5:13 says, “So those who are smart keep their mouths shut, for it is an evil time.”

And so I begin the new year with one major resolution that will protect me from danger, propel me forward into deeper places with Jesus, and provide me proper tools for spiritual growth and maturity.

Because the Christian life is to emulate Christ.  The actual word itself means, “little Christ”.  And so He becomes the model… the standard worthy of our imitation.  And HE only said what He heard the Father saying.

I shall choose wisely my words as to look more like the Savior.  Words chosen with intentionality and purpose.

It really, really, REALLY matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment