Tuesday, February 11, 2020


I spent some time this morning reflecting on Exodus 33. 

It would become one of my favorite chapters in the entire bible several years ago, when a friend of mine said something to me that has remained with me since the day she spoke it.  She said this, “You are Moses.”

And I still remember looking oddly at her and then immediately writing it in my journal when I arrived home from our breakfast date.

“You are Moses.”

She would go on to explain it by saying, “You spend time with Jesus.  It’s evident that you do.  And when you come down from the mountain you are glowing.”  She continued, “Others have that same opportunity, but often behave as the Israelites did then, and live off of the glory that you bring from your personal experience with Him.”

It was way more profound to me than I think she realized in the moment, and more even now than she realizes.  And it’s something I haven’t stopped thinking about to this very day.

We have a great deal to learn from the life of Moses.
A leader to the Israelite people, he was unqualified, but called for Divine service regardless.
A man who knew intimacy with God.
A man favored by the Lord.
A man equipped by Jehovah.

And in chapter 33 of Exodus we see something tremendous about his character.

Moses knew he couldn’t go forward in his assignment without the Divine company of God.  And yet in the beginning of this chapter, this is exactly what is communicated to him.  Verse 3 contains sobering words from the Father, “Go up to this land that flows with milk and honey.  But I will not travel among you, for you are a stubborn and rebellious people…”

My commentary says, “He would not go - the real truth was that He could not go.  The sin of the people, their reckless, thoughtless trifling with holy things made His presence among them a peril.”

And yet we see Moses do the extraordinary for his people.
He pleads on their behalf.

Moses had holy boldness.  He entered into relationship with the Divine with great confidence for heavenly graces.  He understood that the only way out of the difficulty was God’s favor and His guidance.  In fact, he says in verse 12 and 13, “You have been telling me, ‘Take these people up to the Promised land’, but you haven’t told me who will go with me.  You have told me, ‘I know you by name, and I look favorably on you.’ If it is true… let me know Your ways so I may understand You more fully and continue to enjoy Your favor…”

Moses knew He was favored by God and is now pleading that this approval wouldn’t just be in words only, but in action.  Not just a promise for future recompense, but in deliverance from an immediate need.  He reminds God who He’s been, who He is, and who Moses was in His eyes.  His greatest desire in this moment was God’s presence.  I’ve often heard myself repeat his words spoken in verse 15, “If You don’t personally go with us, don't make us leave this place.”

Moses’ request was for there to be such intimacy between himself and God that the power behind the voice He’d heard in the wilderness for so long, would be made manifest.  His request demonstrates that it is worthy, pleasing to God, and of highest profit for the servant of the Lord.

Moses’ sincere ambition was friendship with God.  Intimacy with the Father.  To know His ways and to apprehend His presence.

To be a friend of the Lord.
To be known by name by Jehovah Jireh, “The Lord will provide.”

Oh friend… He longs to hear your bold prayers initiated by intimacy with Him.
We could never know the altering power they posses within them to move the heart of God on a matter.

Won’t you spend time in His presence today?
Remind Him of His Divine favor.
Return all glory and praise to Him.
Sit and rest.
Come as a friend and then feel Him come to you with a promise to always be with you.

He’s such a good, good Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment