Monday, February 10, 2020

Disappointment Is Dangerous


I get it.
More than you know.

Life gets hard.
Setbacks happen.
Heartache comes.
People disappoint.

But I’ve caught myself saying it time and time and time again over the last several months: “two of the greatest obstacles to our spiritual growth are disappointments and distractions.”

And yet disappointments are.. in fact.. distractions in and of themselves.

And I see it all the time.
We’re advancing in our spiritual lives… working hard to make better choices, progressing in our efforts to serve better, love better, and chasing hard after Jesus… and then something happens that throws us off course.

And it doesn’t have to be a big thing, really. It can be the little things, or the mound of minuscule misfortunes that serve to cripple our pursuit.

I hear it all the time.
And I, too, have experienced them.
sleeping way past your alarm, causing a late start to your day
a malfunctioning appliance
harsh words from a co-worker
car trouble

And I’m often found whispering to myself, “When did THIS kind of thing begin dictating MY life? I have the power to THINK differently! And I must!” I say it to my family all the time, “We’ve GOT to do better!”

Didn’t Jesus say it, “…you shall be holy, for I am holy.” (Lev 11:45)

Holiness is really just this… separation. It means to be separated from and elevated above the world around us. It’s being separated from the world and dedicated to God.

It’s thinking better.
It’s behaving better.
It’s living with a renewed perspective.

It’s,”Instead, let{ting} the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes.” Eph 4:23

While I’ve certainly not perfected it, I’m learning how to navigate disappointment, and how to recognize the presence of the evil one. And in it, I’ve developed methods of combat that protect me from the stumbling block that has had it’s aim on me for decades.

We have got to learn how to safeguard against disappointment.

It’s the one area I have been persistent on in praying for my daughter. Nearing closely upon her twenties, living on her own, attending full-time ministry school, and “adulting” in a world that has an ability to show little mercy, can contribute to feelings of frustration. I’ve seen the missiles that have been targeted to demolish her… arrows aimed at distracting her… because the enemy knows just where to direct the blows that are certain to destroy us if we’re not vigilant in our defense against his schemes. So I am constantly praying for God to protect her heart against frustration. Because frustration will eventually lead to fatality. Fatality of dreams, desires, and devotedness.

Don’t let disappointment derail you. You’ve worked TOO hard to allow this to grossly affect your walk with Jesus. I heard it recently and I simply cannot get it out of my mind. “We are in a shift of seasons. The rewards are greater, but the cost of ignoring is even greater.”

Serving Jesus with intensity has never been more important than it is right now, friends.

And you and I cannot afford the distraction that disappointment brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment