Monday, February 10, 2020

Our Words Have The Power To Discredit


I have heard it time and again.
And they’re excuses, really.
I’ve heard it… AND I’ve said it.
And I would write it in my journal to remind me to tread carefully.

Because words spoken are more powerful than we think.

I heard it in a conversation I was having as recent as a couple months ago. Words that appear innocent enough, yet have a harsher impact than we realize.

The person I was speaking to said it repeatedly in our conversation, “I hate to say it, but…” and then it would always be followed up with something that should’ve been left unsaid altogether.

And maybe we’ve all found ourselves the assassin:
“I hate to say it, but I just don’t like her.”
“I hate to say it, but it’s just not fair.”
“I hate to say it, but he’s just not a good person.”


And perhaps if we understood the implication of vocabulary, we would be less likely to expel what only serves to extinguish our spiritual improvement.

Scripture teaches so much about the power of our words.
Proverbs 18:21, “The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.” It’s hard to let it slip by unnoticed that the word “death” comes first in the lineup of results. It’s a warning.
Proverbs 11:9, “Evil words destroy one’s friends; wise discernment rescues the godly.”
And what about this one, Proverbs 11:12, “It is foolish to belittle a neighbor; a person with good sense remains silent.”

And maybe that’s just it.
It’s better to remain silent than to bring about destruction with our words.

Jesus remained silent during a time that could've benefited Him the most… and yet would've cost us the most.

In knowing the reason He had come. “Now my soul is deeply troubled. Should I pray, ‘Father, save me from this hour?’ But this is the very reason I came! Father, bring glory to Your name.” (John 12:27)

He knew the reason He had come was to glorify the Father.
And my whole reason here is glorify Jesus!

Like His remaining silent when words might have seemed the better solution, He refrained. “But Jesus made no response to any of the charges, much to the governor’s surprise.” (Matt 27:14)

And I, too, must learn how to refrain.

Because, “Too much talk leads to sin”, and I must, “Be sensible and keep your mouth shut.” (Proverbs 10:19)

If we have to use the phrase, “I hate to say it, but…” before we speak, it may best befit us to refrain. Lest we allow ourselves to discredit His name that He might, “… bring on you everlasting disgrace--everlasting shame that will not be forgotten.” (Jer 23:40)

Our words have the power to discredit.

No comments:

Post a Comment