Saturday, March 7, 2020

My Highest Aim




Of all the ambitions King David had, one was greater than them all. One took precedence in his life above all others… and that was to know God and be known by Him.

Intimacy with the Father.

He says in Psalm 27:4, “The one thing I ask of the Lord - the one thing I seek the most - is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life…”

Above everything else, David wanted communion with the Presence of God.
It was the highest aim of his life.
Because he knew that if he didn’t have that, he had nothing.

But the verse doesn’t end there.
“The one thing I ask of the Lord - the one thing I seek the most - is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, delighting in the Lord’s perfections and meditating in His Temple.”

I love this.

Because our dear David knows that it’s not just God’s presence that brings about goodness and deliverance… but it’s our RESPONSE to that goodness and deliverance.

And how David commits Himself to responding is by DELIGHTING in Him, and MEDITATING on Him.

David demonstrates to us here that this relationship with Him is a co-laboring.
He extends to us the invitation of His presence… and we respond with delight and meditation.

The word "delight" means this = to gaze upon with great pleasure.
The word "meditate" means this = to seek, enlarge in thought, reflect, study.

And isn’t that just the way it works with Him?
 The more we have of Him - the more we want of Him?
Hunger is found in the pursuit of Jesus.
And it’s a strange dichotomy.
I heard it once described this way, “In the natural we get hungry by not eating. In the kingdom, we get hungry by eating.”

Hunger is a sign of spiritual health.

And David was hungry. His highest aim was not only to be known by God - but to KNOW God. He understood the pursuit of more of Him at any cost.

And so today my focus will shift.
In the asking for more of Him, I will commit myself to delighting and meditating on Him.
I will gaze upon Him with great pleasure, while seeking to enlarge my thoughts on Him.
This means locking eyes upon Him. Refusing to shift my attention in any other direction than where He’s standing. To consider His mercy, His love, His provision, His guidance… oh and the list goes on and on.

I must stay hungry for Him, and enjoy Him, while continuously longing for more of Him.

My highest aim is to know Him and be known by Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment