Monday, September 14, 2020

Show Me Me! Show Me You!

 


I was reading this morning in 1 Corinthians. My study was on chapter 9, verse 26 that says this, “So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing.” (NLT)

I love it in other versions, too - “Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.” (NIV) “That is why I run straight for the finish line; that is why I am like a boxer who does not waste his punches.” (GNT) And how about this one, “I don’t know abut you, but I’m running for the finish line. I’m giving it everything I’ve got. No sloppy living for me! I’m staying alert and in top condition. I’m not going to get caught napping, telling everyone all about it and then missing out myself.” (Message)

Such a good word!

And my commentary focuses a lot on the examination of self in this portion of scripture.
I’ve run across things like, concentrating on the prize that awaits us, preparing for the reward for obedience, and maintaining energy like that of a strong athlete - one who conditions himself for the race.

And the truth is that all of this takes a great deal of self-examination.
By this I mean taking a good look at ourselves and asking the hard questions like: Do I possess the strength of a committed athlete or is there lukewarmness inside me that needs to be cast out? Do I have selfish tendencies? Am I lazy? How is my anxiety level - and am I relying on Jesus for full strength?

Ahh - these questions are SO necessary for us to ask - and ask ourselves regularly.

There is great wisdom in self-examination.
Lam 3:40 says, “Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord.”
Gal 6:4, “Each one should test their own actions…”
2 Cor 13:5, “Examine yourselves to see if your faith is genuine. Test yourselves…”

Self scrutiny is necessary and wise and is, indeed, part of our Christian responsibilities.

But let us not forget that when we are asking, “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.” (Ps 139:23), we must not leave out, too, the begging for God to show us Himself. Ahh - lest we forget why the examination of self is so important!

We see the illustration Moses gave us when he asked, in Exodus 33:18, "Now show me Your glory.” We need to ask, like the Psalmist did in Psalm 68:28, “Summon Your power, God; show us Your strength, our God, as You have done before.”
Otherwise the self-examination… the self-conditioning… is all in vain.

We must ask for an inspection of self through the lens of Jesus.
Because when we focus solely on the work that needs to be done within us, and not on the love and grace of Christ, we miss the purpose He intended for us and the prize that awaits us for the character alterations we determine to make that cause us to look more like the Savior.

Yes - we must examine our ways closely and routinely - asking ourselves the hard questions that prove the fruit of our lives - but we must not do so with forgetting that the end goal is seeing Him, knowing Him, and worshipping Him.

As my commentary says, “the love of Christ and grace of Christ are stronger than our corruptions.”

And that - should be good news to our souls this morning! <3

“Show me myself, Lord!”
“Show me You, Lord!”
“I can’t afford to have a thought in my head about me that is not overshadowed by the thought You have in Your head about me, God! And when I see You, I correctly see the Me You’re making me to be!”

No comments:

Post a Comment