Tuesday, September 15, 2020

It is I. Stop Fearing.

 


I have no real authority to make this claim, nor do I have an argument within me to debate the reasons I feel this is true… but I’m gonna say it here… in a safe place in this community.

I don’t think all of what we are seeing happening in our world today is from the enemy.

Now - I don’t mean the “result” of what we are seeing played out, and note that I do cautiously use the words, not “all of what we are seeing” in my comment. But I simply think that often times we give the enemy FAR more creative content credit than he deserves.

He’s crafty. And Cunning. And manipulative.
He is, as Isaiah prophesies it in chapter 21 of the book that bears his name, “the betrayer betraying, the destroyer destroying.” (Is 21:2)
But he's really not that smart. And doesn't have that much authority and control.

An honest read of the bible and the hard stories that come to us from the prophets long ago, and we are compelled to think differently about a world where the consequences from sin are real.

Either way - the Lord is getting our attention.
And if there are some who think this isn’t true, they have been living under a rock for most all of 2020.

I was reading in Matthew 14 the other day. The story of Jesus walking on the water.
And in the Kenneth Wuest translation Jesus says these words to the terrified disciples who thought He was a ghost, “Be having courage. It is I. Stop fearing.”

And I heard it in my spirit.
This still small voice.
“It is I. Stop fearing.”

I get VERY easily startled.
Seriously. It’s bad.
I can be in the same house with my hubby - in the next room as him actually - and be so deep in thought that if I don’t hear him when he comes into the room, I get “freaked out” a bit.
And he laughs.
He thinks it’s funny.
I do not.
And in true Trevor-fashion he says, “Well who in the world did you think it was!”, when I share with him how badly he scared me.

And yet could that be how we are?
A little jumpy at all we see happening around us.
I can hear us saying it.
“Oh my goodness - more outbreaks - I’m scared!”
“My kids can’t go back to tradition school - I’m so frightened for them.”
“I’m so afraid of how this election is going to do down.”

We are filled with panic and fear and anxiousness.

You know scripture says this in 1 Peter 4:12, “Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.”

“It is I. Stop fearing.”

And so we look for Jesus.
Look for Jesus in the mess.
Because He’s there.
And there.
And here.

Look!
It’s HIM!
We need not be afraid.
He still has the whole world in His hands.

We are still protected. Still loved. Still provided for in ways we can’t even image.
And yes - EVEN from the “invisible enemy.”

Satan doesn’t get credit for everything, after all.

Some food to think on?

No comments:

Post a Comment