Monday, October 26, 2020

The Goodness of God


I was a bit sad yesterday afternoon as I drove home from the store.

It was an overcast day.
And I was missing my girl.

Sunday’s in our house for most of her life, were family days.
Church.
Lunch.
Maybe a nap.
A drive to the lake.
Prepping for a new week.

And just like seasons come… they go.
And in the blink of an eye we’re faced with a different season.
The rolling in of another change.
And they all seem to be coming faster and faster the older we get.

And I image we’re all feeling it this year.
Of all years.
We’re all experiencing, to some degree, an unsettling; an unrest.
A shift in the atmosphere.

And sometimes the remembering of better days, simpler times, is difficult.
But sometimes it brings life to our weary souls.

And it did for me on a Sunday night in late October.

We would sit down to watch our girl lead worship in a new place, in a new city, in this… her new season… and with tears streaming down both of our eyes, we would remember His goodness.

ALL. the. days. of. our. life.

ALL of them.
Not just the ones that feel good.
Not just the ones where things were going our way.
Not just the joy-filled, problem-free days.
ALL of them.

He has been abundantly faithful.
Good.
Merciful.
Relentlessly our Pursuer.
And He has given us more in this life than we could have ever dreamed up or imaged for ourselves.

And so, it is with confidence, that we sing alongside our girl 1,919 miles away, “All my life You have been faithful, all my life You have been so, so good!  With every breath that I am able… I will sing of the goodness of God.”

I would repeat the words I had repeated to a friend just days before, and now to my own heart, “Don’t cry because it’s over (whatever you find yourself grieving a loss for today in 2020), smile because it happened.”

I will worship Him for His glorious goodness… all. of. my. days.

No comments:

Post a Comment