Saturday, November 14, 2020

Give Us Eyes To See!

 



God in His kindness has given me a gift.
And I’m not sure that I always viewed it as such, or at the very least could articulate it that way, but I see it now… as a gift.

I can see things.
While I am a known “feeler”, who can tangibly feel when things are “off”, or when a spirit of darkness looms about, I am, even more, a seer.

It became increasingly evident a few years back.
I had been writing on snapped images I had taken in my camera role.
Things like a stop sign, spilled coffee onto my kitchen floor, and my running shoes.
And then one day, out of nowhere really, a sweet friend sent me an image of a smashed and rotting pumpkin.  And the words she would send me with the picture were, “If anyone can tell a story from this - you can.”

My writings up to that point had been proof of special vision God had gifted me with.
And it took a friend calling it out in me to see it.
And it wouldn’t be the last time God would use a sweet voice of a friend to remind me of this fact… God had given me… has given me… eyes to see.

But it wasn’t always that way.
In fact I am still recovering from the “Glass Half Empty” Syndrome.  Because all too quickly old patterns resurface, and the ease and comfort of doom and gloom return.

And I understand it now to be choice.
And it IS a choice.
To see.

It’s the words that Jesus would speak to John the Baptist’s disciples who had asked Him, “Where are you staying?” (Jn 1:38)  Jesus had just asked the band of brothers, “What do you want?”  and their response was, “Tell us where you’re staying.”

They likely knew that closeness to the One was most necessary… the most important thing, indeed!

And Jesus’ response to them is simple, “Come and see.”  (vs 39)

It’s the words Philip would whisper to Nathanael who was sceptic of the authenticity of this so-called, “Savior”.  When Philip excitedly tells of the, “the very person Moses and the prophets had wrote about”… this, “Jesus from Nazareth”, Nathanael cynically replies, “What good can come from Nazareth?”

And Philip’s response to him was simple, “Come and see for yourself.” (vs 46)

Because there’s something about vision.
Spiritual vision.
One of the grandest faculties - and the most important in a “vision year” ironically eclipsed by panic and discord, is sight.

It’s what Elisha prayed for his assistant to see… the one serving as his helper against the Aramean army.  When the troops encircled Dothan, where the prophet and his assistant were staying, the realization of these mobilized troops along with their chariots and horses, proved too much for the young servant.  And looking to his leader, Elisha, he says it, “Oh sir, what will we do now?”  (vs 15)

And Elisha’s response is beautiful.  
He calms him, “Don’t be afraid.”  (vs 16) and he says the words of reassurance before even a prayer is whispered, “For there are more on our side than on theirs!”
The prophet knew God was protecting.
He knew because of the vision God had given him.
As both prophet, and of follower of Him whom the man of God walked closely with.

And then Elisha prayed.  “O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!”  (vs 17)
And in His goodness, God opens his eyes to see not only chariots, troops, and horses surrounding them, but fire.
The fire of God!  Fire that was the well-known symbol of Jehovah's visible presence and protection or destroying might!

It was the words I would say to friends on a Friday night conference call: “I just want people to see!”  And so has become my hearts cry for those I love and those who need to know His love.
“Give them eyes to see!”

Sometimes people are blinded by unawareness.  They don’t know the love of the Savior yet.
Sometimes people are blinded by unwillingness.  They see sin, but are unwilling to depart from it.
And sometimes people are blinded by forgetfulness.  They have simply forgotten their God and His awesomeness; His protectiveness in times of despair and uncertainty.

Charles Spurgeon would say this, “To see yourself is well; but to see God is better.”

God open our eyes that we might see!
Help us to live AWARE!
Help us to surrender to vision WILLINGLY.
Help us to never FORGET Your great sovereignty and power.

May our set intention daily be to SEE YOU in all things!

No comments:

Post a Comment