Monday, November 2, 2020

Hold Up Thy Goings


Psalm 17:5 in the NLT says this, “My steps are stayed on Your path; I have not wavered from following You.”

This is a prayer of David, and by reading these words we could walk away with the understanding that this is telling of his great confidence in himself. We could assume this to be David recalling the faithfulness of his unwavering journey with the Lord.
In fact, it aligns with what we find in the verses prior, “You have tested and examined my heart in the night. You have scrutinized and found nothing wrong. I am determined not to sin in what I say.” (verse 3)

But then take a look at it in the original King James Version. It says it like this, “Hold up my goings in Thy paths that my footsteps slip not.”

While in the NLT it tends to be a statement, here, in this version, it looks to be a request.
David is asking, “Hold up steps so that I don’t slip.”

And so here we have a choice to make.
Do we speak in confidence like David?
Do we request of the Lord to hold us up so we don’t make a mistake?

And the answer to both questions, I believe, is, “Yes.”

BOTH offer wisdom in obedience.

David was confident. He did speak as one who had, “honest lips” (verse 1). And he did know the authority he walked with God in.
But he was also VERY MUCH AWARE of his daily weakness.
He knew how easy it was to be tripped up.
How simple it was to be thrown off course.
And so there was always an incessant need to pray for the holding up of his feet so that he would not slip up.

He says it in Psalm 26:2, “Put me on trial, Lord, and cross-examine me. Test my motives and my heart.”
There was an honest cry from David’s heart to get it right; to be found blameless; to be seen as worth to carry the name of the Lord.

David knew his own rebellion well. Psalm 51:3 he says, “For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night.” And so he honestly asks for the purification his heart was in need of, “Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.” (Ps 51:7)
His honesty.
His need.
His confidence in God’s ability to help him.

And so it is with us.
We can maintain confidence in our ability with God to claim victory in our yieldedness to Him, while acknowledging our weakness and capacity to fall, especially when we let go of our grip of Jesus.

God, may I stand poised with fortitude and resolution, at the same time honoring my position as a child of God, fully dependent on the reinforcement of a good, good Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment