Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Lessons in Mascara!

 


I had this quick thought when I was getting ready to attend a funeral for one of my dear friends last week.  To be honest, it’s a thought that has crossed my mind several times since the start of the pandemic.  But it hit differently on this day for some reason.

As I was applying make-up and getting ready to head out for the four hour round trip back “home”, it dawned on me that my efforts seemed pointless.  As I pulled out the three mascaras that have become a normal habit in my morning make-up routine, I briefly hesitated as I re-evaluated my effort.

“What’s the point?”  I thought.  “I have to wear a mask anyway.  Most of my face won’t even be showing.”

But then, almost instantly, I countered that thought.
“They’ll see my eyes!”  I whispered to myself.
“And so I shall make up for what they can’t see with the best looking eyes I can achieve!”

And that one thought led me to deep contemplation concerning comparison.

It’s funny what masks have been hiding all these months.
Smiles.
Frowns.
Fear.
Joy.

They’ve also been concealing:
restored teeth post braces.
cleared up skin post acne breakout.
that new lipstick you’ve been excited to show off.

And yet somehow in all of this, the parable of the three servants returns to my mind.
A master gives three servants different portions of silver to oversee in his absence.
The first servant received 5 bags of silver.
The second received 2 bags.
The third received 1.

The servant with 5 bags invested the money and earned 5 more.
The servant with 2 bags went to work and earned 2 more.
But the servant with 1 bag who knew his master to be harsh, buried his bag into the ground.

The first and second servants were praised, given more responsibility, and given a celebration.
But the third servant was reprimanded and ordered to give his prided bag that was buried to the one who now held 10 bags in his possession.

The thing is - I might not have a pretty smile to show off now.
But what do I have?
I have eyes that need more attention and can certainly make up for what the rest of my face lacks by a cloth covering.

Our focus so often tends to be on all we lack.
I don’t have money to do that.
I don’t have talent like her.
I’m not as good looking as that person.

But what do you have?
Use that.
No… not just use it… increase it!  Enhance it.  Make it better.

Some might be saying…
I might not have her talent in the area of cooking, but God HAS given me talent in the area of encouragement.  So I will use that mightily and with greater intensity than ever before!
I might not have his intelligence in the areas of business, but God HAS given me a talent in the areas of technology.  So I will use that mightily and with greater intensity than ever before!
I might not be able to speak well in front of a crowd, but God HAS given me the talent of mentoring another.  So I will use that mightily and with greater intensity than ever before!

Whatever it is… whatever you lack… find the thing you ARE good at and then DO IT TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY.  Use it for His glory.  Use it with the purpose of changing the world and you will.

No, we all don’t have to be good at all things… but we do have a responsibility of using what we DO have lest we waste what God has graciously bestowed.

I will apply the eye make-up a bit differently in days to come.
Because it matters.
I can still love others with my eyes.
I can still show compassion with my eyes.
I can still show the love of God with my eyes.
I will use what I’ve got without reservation.  Because God gives more abundantly than I ever deserve anyway!

I love the way God speaks to my soul and works on my heart.
And it somehow makes me chuckle that this time He used mascara of all things!

No comments:

Post a Comment