Thursday, January 14, 2021

Recognize, Repent, and Be Released!

 


I feel like I’ve been saying it on repeat.
And never more than I did in 2020.

“We remain in an unnecessary state of spiritual depravity by our tongue.”

The Bible is most clear, “And among all the parts of the body, the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself.”  (James 3:6)

And it has never been a more critical time to, “Set a guard over my mouth…” (Ps 141:5)

It is true, what Jesus said, “You must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak.”  (Matthew 12:36, NLT)  “empty word” (NIV)  “careless word” (ESV)  “careless AND useless”  (Amp)  “worthless word”  (NET)

And so it has become my mission to be as diligent over my mouth as I can.
To hold back, when I want to be angry.
To refrain from unnecessary speech when it doesn’t serve the purpose of edifying, encouraging, benefiting, adding value, and ultimately glorifying Jesus.

Isaiah knew about the power of the lips.

We find the calling on the life of this would-be Prophet, Isaiah, in chapter 6.
He encounter the living God.  Scripture tells us that he, “saw the Lord” sitting on His throne and wearing a robe that’s train filled the temple.  (verse 1)

When the angels appeared singing before the Lord and their voices shook the temple to its foundation, Isaiah realized his depravity.  His sin was ever more apparent in this moment.

And the words of Isaiah were this, “It’s over, I am doomed!  For I am a sinful man.  I have filthy lips and I live among a people with filthy lips.”  (verse 5)

Isaiah knew his sin well, and the sin of those he lived with.

And it was “filthy lips.”

I think this says something about the importance he placed on dialogue.
How much value he attributed to vocal expression.
And how much damage can result in the sin of speech.  For he expected the harshest of judgement, “It’s over.  I am doomed!” he said.

Something within Isaiah must have known how dishonorable our words can be, and how damaging they can be to our spiritual condition, effectiveness, and acceptance.

But there’s something more.
In the presence of the Lord God Almighty, Isaiah deeply understood that his vision of the Holy One changed everything.

Verse 5 continues.  He says this, “It’s over, I am doomed!  For I am a sinful man.  I have filthy lips and I live among a people with filthy lips….. YET I have seen the King, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.”

Vision changes everything.

In light of His glorious presence we see our sin the clearest.
And Isaiah’s realization of this sin, caused him to repent, and then ultimately be released from the guilt by the enormous call to be the messenger to the people.



The guilty one, turned repentant, now used as one of the greatest prophets the world has ever seen.



Filthy lips.
It was the sin of Isaiah and of the people he would become a servant to.
And the thing that ushered him in to repentance that would activate his assignment for the Lord.

What is it for you?


What sin has he shown you that once repented of would release you to be all God created you to be?



No comments:

Post a Comment