Sunday, December 24, 2017

Do Big Things With Great Love

I watched her pretty intently.

It was late and she was still putting together all of the details on the gifts she’d purchased for her friends.  And I snapped a photo in secret like I normally do.  These kinds of moments need capturing above all the others.

But then I did something I don’t always do.  I sat with the photo and I stared intently at it.  For a long time.

Because these are the days that matter most.

A girl.  With her pen.  And some wrapping paper.  And the gifts.  The gifts which represented sacrifice.

Ahh… there’s that word I’ve been wrestling with for over a year now.

Sacrifice.

It’s not the most popular word I’ve ever written about.  Maybe because it’s one of the most uncomfortable words I’ve ever written about.  For this writer-girl too.

But what’s the point of love if it’s not sacrificial.

Because wasn’t it God, Himself, who sacrificed in sending His only Son to earth to serve as the Sin-Pardoner for all?
Wasn't it Jesus who lived every day of His human existence in sacrifice for other people?

John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave…”
Love is in the giving.

Love came down.
Love was inconvenienced.
Love paid the price.

Ahh… love must always cost us something.

And as I watched my girl working late into the night for her people… I jotted it down as if to remind myself daily… “Do big things with great love!  Because it’s worth it!  Be a good friend!  Spend hours creating something for someone else!  Go OUT OF YOUR WAY for those you love.  Sacrifice into the fringe hour.  It all matters!”

Love doesn’t say, “It’s convenient now… come to me!”
Love says, “Despite the inconvenience… I’m coming to you!”

Love really does chase you down!

Let’s not let the spirit of loving and giving and sacrificing end with Christmas Day.  Let’s live as though we truly believe the old adage… it really IS better to give than to receive.


No comments:

Post a Comment