Thursday, December 28, 2017

A New Year Is Coming!

As 2017 comes to an abrupt close, my attention shifts to goal-setting and resolutions.  I love January first.  To me, it has always been symbolic of a fresh start.  A do-over.  I imagine it like a blank canvas of my life where I am the artist and the paint brush is opportunity!

Looking back over my journal from 2017, I came across two scriptures.  Psalm 27:11 says this, “Teach me how to live, O Lord.  Lead me along the right path…”  And then another one, Psalm 5:8, “Lead me on the right path, O Lord… Make Your way plain for me to follow.”

David was a smart man.  Oh he was human and he suffered with the same temptations we suffer from, and he was prone to weakness just like we are… but he was a smart man who maintained high integrity and a deep desire to get it right.  It’s what made him a “man after God’s own heart.”

So often our perspective is misaligned.  We tend to focus too much on why something is happening to us.  “Why are they treating me like this?”  “Why can’t I ever get ahead?”  “Why am I always the one who gets left out?”  But maybe in the new year, we can make a shift in our thinking. 

I love the book of Job for so many reasons, but one thing that stuck out to me this year was the way he responded at the end of book.  After God allowed him to suffer many losses and hardships and utter devastation, Job doesn’t seek to understand why.  At the end of the book he doesn’t receive revelation as to why… because it really didn't matter.  He had his life, He had his God, and that was enough.

My prayer going into the new year is that I would spend less time trying to figure it all out, and more time on praying that God would enable me to be wise and act right in the face of anything I encounter.  I pray that my desire for God to develop me would supersede my desire to learn patterns on how to defeat, defend, and dispute the discouragements, and dissect every misfortune God allows.  My prayer is to constantly seek out the ways to take what’s been given to me… look upon it intensely, and then see what it can be and how it can make me better than before.

It’s coming… a fresh slate!  What will you do with your do-over??



No comments:

Post a Comment