Friday, December 15, 2017

Trust God and Let It Go

I had a good idea.

When we set out to purchase and decorate a tree for Adrian’s Annual Comstock Riverwalk this year, I had a good idea that we would put together a tub of winter gear that we would sit beside our tree and make available to anyone who needed these things.

And we filled it to the brim.

We collected hats and mittens and scarves and earmuffs, and gloves, and we loaded them in to a large tub with a laminated sign attached to it that read, “Please take as you need.  Courtesy of Inspire Ministries.  Merry Christmas and God bless!”

As I was placing my items into the box before bringing it down, I prayed over the individual items.  I prayed that the meager gifts would, indeed, be a blessing to people who go without such necessary gear during some of the coldest days in our state.  I prayed that God would not only provide, but that in the process would immensely bless the lives of the recipients of our donations.

For the first couple weeks we saw the items in the box begin to dwindle.  At last look, about half of the items were taken and we were already making plans to purchase new clothing items to replenish.

And then… one day, just a few days later… the entire box was gone.  Items AND tub. 

At first, I guess, we were a little stunned.  I will admit, thoughts entered my mind like, “There were too many things in there to have gotten taken that fast?” and “Why didn’t they at least leave the tub?”

But then I quickly remembered my prayer.

And I said another one.

“God, bless the ones who received.  May their needs have been so great that this was an answer to their prayer.”

Because the truth really is that sacrifices made cannot come with consequences and conditions.  I cannot be a faithful giver if I insist on making the rules and calling the shots.  Sacrifice in generosity must surrender in obedience, and trust that God’s plan is greater than mine.  And on that morning I heard a whisper in my very soul, “Are you going to trust Me?  Because if you’re going to trust Me fully and completely, you’re going to need to give up your tight grip of control… and let it go.”

His thoughts are always higher. His ways are always greater.  And He knows best who's needs are the greatest.  He knows the hearts who hurt and, just maybe, His plan for redemption and restoration this time was a tub filled with winter gear.


No comments:

Post a Comment