Thursday, December 14, 2017

I Didn't Know It Was You




I wonder… how many times have I passed Jesus by and didn’t even know it?

Okay, maybe not physically, but go with me for a moment.

The bible teaches us that we were all made in the image of God (Gen 1:27).  All of us.  Made in His likeness and created for His good purpose.

Psalm 8:5 tells us that, “Yet You made them (humans) only a little lower than God and crowned them with glory and honor.”

And then in Revelation 4:8 it says, “… For You created all things, and they exist because you created what you pleased.”

And yet so often we forget these simple truths.

We forget it for the one who cuts us off in traffic.  That one was made in the image of God and for His good purpose.
We forget it for the one who doesn’t treat us as we feel we “deserve”.  That one was made in the image of God and for His good purpose.
We forget it for the unrelenting co-worker who is so hard to get along with.  That one was made in the image of God and for His good purpose.
We forget it for the criminal who’s life of crime has brought about pain and heartache to many.  Yes, too, even that one was made in the image of God and for His good purpose.

Sometimes we forget.

Sometimes we forget that we too have been the one who has cut off a stranger, treated others unfairly, has been hard to get along with, has brought about pain and heartache to people.

But God looks at us through the sacrifice made by His Son, Jesus, and it is through that sacrifice alone that we are made worthy and valuable and blameless… yes that too.. in His eyes.

And so I wonder, how many times have I passed Him by and didn’t even know it?
How many times have I stared into the eyes of Jesus - perfection made flesh - and didn’t realize it?
How many times have I treated Him with contempt because of my irritability with one of His very own?
How many times have I rejected Him because I rejected the one made in His image?

Oh Jesus… I’m sorry. 

I didn’t know it was You.

May today be the turning point that we look into the faces of those around us… really look, deeply… and see the face of Christ.

It just might change how we interact with the One who’s image they bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment