Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Share Your Story!



Her name is Sierra.

And the moment she walked into my hospital room I knew I was going to love her.

Maybe it was her spunky personality.
Maybe it was the joy she brought with her.
Maybe it was the passion she possesses for her job.

Whatever it was I am not sure I will forget her any time soon.

And she would ask me why I’m in the hospital. 

I feel as though a million of them have asked since my arrival on Saturday morning at 3 a.m.

And I wonder how many times I have repeated my story to them.  Recounted all the pain.  Pointed out all the troubled spots.

And now she’s asking.

And as I shared her eyes grew wide. 

Because she understands.

Her hubby has experienced the same thing.  Almost the same exact way.  And after I shared my story and my journey, she reciprocated by sharing with me hers…. theirs.

Because it matters.

And I listened.  Intently.  Because she has walked this same road before.  And she has feared the same fears before.  And she gets it.

She understands the pain and the frustration and the longing for answers that may never come.

And for that moment, nothing else mattered.  Because there’s really something special about a shared journey with another person.

And a listening ear.  A compassionate spirit.

And if I were 18 years younger, she would be a best friend, I know it.

And God is so good to give us those instant connections!

Because the truth really is that we were given our personal stories to bring strength to other people.  To bring hope to those hurting. 

As a life-breathing friend would tell me earlier today… Trials are our Teachers.

Ahh… yes!  That!

And so speak your story!  Share your struggle.  Tell of your triumphs.  Herald the hope!

It really, really, really matters! 

No comments:

Post a Comment