Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Some Days I Mess Up


Some days I mess it up.

Entirely.

And I wish life had a “do over” button.

I could have handled the situation better. I could have been a light. I could have responded in grace instead of reacting with carelessness and impatience and blatant disregard to all that the Gospel, I so affectionately cherish, requires of me.

But I didn’t.

Because some situations in life are hard to navigate. Some people make “loving others well” so difficult. And yet hurting people... hurt people.

And I’d felt the instant conviction in my heart. “Show her Jesus” was the assignment. And I failed the test.

And I’d feel the heart burning conviction again in the car ride out of the city. Once from a husband who understands that our fight is never with people.. but always with a real enemy who’s main target is to kill in us all we’ve worked so hard to acquire. Grace. Mercy. Love. He’d almost whisper the words on our silent journey back, “I feel sorry for that woman.”

And I did too. And for me. Because there’s still heart work here too.

And hadn’t I read it earlier? Psalm 24:3, the question: “Who may stand in His holy place?” And the answer, verse 4: “Only those whose hands and hearts are pure.”

And then those piecing words from the familiar song in the car. “I don’t care if they remember me, only Jesus!”

Sigh.

We don’t always get it right.

Sometimes we forget.

We forget to carry Him well. To steward Him appropriately.

Because people are hurting. And they need what we have. Hope. Forgiveness. Patience. Love. Gentleness.

And so I pray a little more today. Give me a heart like Yours, God. Because I must live dissatisfied with anything less than my best.

And today I blew it.

Maybe you did too?

And it’s okay. He has enough grace for whatever burden you carry... for whatever guilt you’re shouldering... for whatever lie you’re believing about the shortcoming you struggle with.

His mercies are new every day. And tomorrow we both get a second chance to be better. Do better.

So grateful for Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment