Monday, March 25, 2019

I Am Peter


I am Peter.

Of all the fantastic characters in scripture, I resonate with Peter the most.

He was intense.
He was impulsive.
He was eager.
He was fervent.
He was curious.

Peter was devoted, but sometimes impatient. He was ambitious but often careless. He was hungry but sometimes overly audacious.

But he was relentless in his pursuit of the One He called Teacher, Master, Rabbi. Oh.. and Messiah. Probably the greatest of all names for his Friend. “Then He asked them, “But who do you say I am?” Peter replied, “You are the Messiah.” (Mark 8:29)

You are the Messiah.

The promised One.
The Deliverer.
The Hope.
The Rescuer.

And so I wonder if it’s what Peter was thinking about when he saw Jesus from the boat in John 21:7. Scripture tells us that among the other disciples, Peter saw Jesus and “jumped in the water and headed to shore.”

Oh Peter.
Confident.
Strong.
Determined.
Faithful.
A great seerer.

And I chuckle because scholars tell us that they were likely only about 100 yards from their destination, and yet in his eagerness to be in the presence of greatness, Peter ran to meet His Messiah.

Abandoning human companionship.
Despising temporary gain.
Withdrawing from all manner of comfort.

All for the eager seeking of Christ.

That’s the part of Peter’s personality I will receive for myself. The part I will strive to emulate.

Because it’s the relationship that makes us recognize Jesus and rush to be with Him.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment