Monday, May 13, 2019

A Public Thank You

I remember dropping her off. She’d just turned 18. I was in the thick of a scary health battle. And our family was still attempting to overcome both emotionally and mentally a devastating and fairly shocking experience. We were unaware of the harder times yet to come and leaving our only child over 2,000 miles away from the only form of security she’d ever had, seemed utterly daunting. At times impossible.

While I was super excited to see what God was going to do in her life, I remained selfish. I wanted her home with us. Or perhaps closer at least.

I recall a conversation with a friend pretty early on. While confidentially sharing with her my fears that stemmed primarily from financial concerns, she’d gently whisper to me, “At what point do you put your tail between your legs and bring her home. Tell ‘em you attempted to make it work. Try again next year.” 
I’d lovingly remind her that God had NOT made a mistake and that getting accepted after just 14 hours when she was originally told it would be 4-6 weeks, was certainly all for purposes greater than our understanding.
I would not be bringing her home.

I can’t forget the days we weren’t sure how we were going to make it work.  Not only financially and emotionally, but physically too. Surgery had left me weak. And often with more medical concerns than were originally diagnosed.

I can remember the concerns others had for her attending Bethel’s School of Supernatural Ministry. They’d define it as a cult, and warn me of false teachings and heretical doctrine. Some would mock her decision to allow God to mold her and shape her, questioning her motives, often loudly worried about the “brain washing” she may receive from any involvement with the revivalist culture in Redding.

But I also want to tell you of the things you may not know.  The things too numerous to list out here... black ink on a page.

Chloe met the most wonderful friends of her life at this school!
Chloe encountered Jesus in a way many never get the honor to their entire life.
Chloe witnessed a full surrender to the Holy Spirit, and watched as He transformed her from the inside out.
Chloe overcame dark dark days. Days filled with fear and loneliness and rejection.
Chloe faced anxiety head-on and successfully conquered challenges stemming from homesickness that tried taking her down every single day.

While thousands of miles away, this girl would often face uncertainties and opposition like a warrior. There would be many dark days, but not ONE of them would be faced alone. 

Not one.

And it’s likely why my anthem song this year has been Here Again by Elevation. Tears streamed when I heard her singing it with friends at a BBQ recently in Redding to celebrate First Year Graduation: “Not for a minute was I forsaken, the Lord is in this place, the Lord is in this place.”

And NOT FOR A MINUTE were we forsaken in any of this. NOT FOR ONE SINGLE MINUTE.

And my heart SOARS on a Monday when I think of where we’ve been and where we’re going.

We never walk alone.

And to you.. yes you… reading this.  Thank you.  And for those who made it possible for this year to happen for my girl… thank you.  You know who you are!
To the family members who sacrificed financially to pay off her school tuition so she would remain there for the school year!  THANK YOU.
To the family members who prayed on their knees for this sweet family of mine in the midst of insurmountable valleys!  THANK YOU.
To the friend who took me out for coffee and surprised me with a check large enough to cover 2 months of house payments during an exhausting season of worry!  THANK YOU.
To the family members who gave more of themselves than they had to give!  THANK YOU.
To the church family that prayed and believed alongside of us!  THANK YOU.
To the friend who pressed Chloe to “be honest and tell me what you really need still to get through the school year.” and who would send her a sacrificial gift that left us not only speechless, but sobbing for days because God is bigger and better than we ever give Him credit for!  THANK YOU.
To the girlfriend who knew a need for a winter coat and left a brand new beautiful one on my doorstep on a cold, wintery January morning because she loves me and wanted to meet a need for one she loves.  THANK YOU.
To the friends who supported Chloe’s ENTIRE Worship U tuition cost!  THANK YOU.
To the High School friends who sacrificed so much to contribute financially to her missions.  THANK YOU.
To the ones who sent checks in the mail with sweet words attached on a note, “This is because we believe that what you're doing in California is making a difference and we believe in you!”  THANK YOU.
To the ones who purchased hand-designed sweatshirts to support her missions.  THANK YOU.
To the dear dear friends who pooled their sky miles points together as well as their finances to fly me out as a surprise trip to me for my birthday to see my girl in March!  THANK YOU.
To the absolutely adorable woman from church who chased us all over Country Market (a store I never go to but once a year maybe) to hand me a financial gift to “help with Christmas groceries” because, “God told me you could use it.”!  THANK YOU.
To the endless prayer supporters we received and the too-numerous-to-count messages we received of love and kindness!  THANK YOU.

I wish you could see into my heart and know how much your love and support means to me. To us. 
I wish you could have heard the words I whispered to Trevor time and time and time again, “God is so good!  You can’t make this stuff up!”

The outpouring of love doesn’t make sense… but we have continued to faithfully praise God every step of this journey.

He is a good good Father.
And He has provided in ways we do not deserve.

We are eternally grateful for this AMAZING school year!!!

And as we look ahead into our unknown future, with decisions that still need to be made, direction that still needs to be prayed through, and changes that are coming up fast and furious for our family, we humbly say - thank you.

Thank you Jesus for making a way!
Thank you family and friends for all you’re loving us through.

Believing… truly believing… the best is yet to come! 







No comments:

Post a Comment