Sunday, July 28, 2019

Say What You Want To See

My heart becomes discouraged when I hear the things that people say.

Just in the last few days I have listened to the words of others and have sensed an overwhelming dread coming from their mouths.

Things like, "I am so frustrated..."
"This just isn't fair..."
"They will never change."

And I find myself, at times, saying these same things.

Oh but we have to get this one right. We must learn to live aware of the things we're allowing to flow from our tongue.

As of late, I've had numerous examples of what life-giving words can do.

One example is of a person I know well who has lived a life they are not proud of. A life filled with mistakes. A life filled with regrets for the poor choices they have made. A life that might be easily discounted as "hopeless" and "undeserving".

This individual has unfortunately suffered through loss of friendships, and has endured rejection from family members because of their erratic behavior and careless conduct. They have experienced pain both from their irresponsible living and others injurious judgement.

But one day I woke to this thought. What if we begin SAYING what we want to SEE? What if we begin speaking words of affirmation... words that not only speak to what they COULD be, but call forth the things that are - if only in embryonic existence.

I decided to send a note to this individual and remind them of who they are in Christ. I recalled a time I saw good in him and spoke it over him as though it currently existed. I told him he was a good father, a strong man of God, and would one day change the world for Jesus. My husband and I both decided to embrace what COULD be and have made conscious efforts since to speak life over what has been dormant inside of him for years.

And we are seeing a difference.

In fact his mom would report to us that not only has he stopped making bad choices, he has returned to church, has gotten a new job, and is thriving.

It doesn't mean he's completely restored.. but it does mean he has recognized hope for what could be, and has been empowered to live the life he was called to live.

Words matter.

Proverbs 11:12 says “It is foolish to belittle a neighbor; a person with good sense remains silent.”

Proverbs 11:17 says “Your own soul is nourished when you are kind, but you destroy yourself when you are cruel.”

Proverbs 15:4 says “Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.”

Proverbs 18:21 says, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue..."

And what about the words of Jesus in Matthew 12:36, "I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak."

Every careless words.
This includes the ones that speak of our frustration, the unfairness of our circumstances, gossip, ridicule, judgement. Our irresponsible recklessness will do more damage than we even know.

Let's begin today speaking life!
Let's start today - SAYING what we want to SEE!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment