Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Seek and Prepare

2 Samuel 5:17-25 gives us the story of David conquering the Philistines. And I absolutely love this portion of scripture that gives us a deeper insight into the character of the king deemed a "man after My own heart" by our God.

When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed King of Israel, scripture tells us that they mobilized all their forces to capture him. Verse 19 records His response, "So David asked the Lord, 'Should I go out to fight? Will you hand them over to me?'" To which the Lord responded in verse 20, "'Yes, go ahead. I will certainly hand them over to you.'"

I love this inquiry for many reasons.

First of all - the Philistines never considered that David had the Presence of the almighty God on His side. Saul had it and had lost it, so they didn't know what they were truly up against.

But the part I love the most is that David waited until God moved. He paused enough for instruction. He waited until He heard the voice and then proceeded onward.

But not until then.

David had been trained up in the obedience to God. He had well known that without His leading, David was helpless and hopeless.

David inquired of God. He ASKS, and doesn't ASSUME.
He insists that rushing headlong into conflict would not be wise, and instead calls upon God.
He seeks wise wise counsel.

Proverbs 22:3 says, "I prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences."

David sough wise counsel - and just as important, if not more so, he prepared for obedience.

Immediate obedience.

Oh because it's one thing to KNOW, but it's another thing to GO.

My commentary says this, "When the path is made clear, quit questioning whether to go - just walk."

And so maybe we could adapt a David-like mentality.
Maybe we could develop a heart like his.

Oh that we would always seek His wise counsel in everything we do.
"God, should I go here?"
"God, should I say this?"

My prayers have been, "God, help me get this right", and "God, may I learn to immediately respond well to Your direction."

Because preparing - IN ADVANCE - for full and IMMEDIATE obedience is the key. We can't wait until the answer comes. Our heart and mind must be ready, and our feet prepared for whatever order He gives.

I long to be found obedient.

It matters!

Let's see Divine counsel and then prepare for immediate obedience.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment