Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Remember, Recall, Be Ready

Psalm 13:5 has become one of my go-to verses.

David says this, “… but I will trust in Your unfailing love and rejoice because You rescued me.”  The Passion translation says it this way, “I will yet celebrate with passion when Your salvation lifts me up.”

And I would write it my bible at the beginning of 2019.  “Expectation.”

Because my word for this year has been the word “watch.”
“Watch” in expectation for all God is doing, wants to do, and will do.

It’s a shift in mindset.

I was talking to someone last night at dinner and told them what I have been preaching to self all year long.  I said this, “If you’re having a hard time discerning what God is doing, focus for a time on what you've seen Him do.”

Jesus was talking to His disciples one time and frustratingly asked them why it was they couldn’t perceive the things of heaven.  And in talking with them He used a word that has become an anthem for me over the last several months and it’s this word “remember.”  Jesus says to His students and to you and I today, “Can you remember?”  (See Mark 8.)

In other words… I know you can’t see what I’m doing, but can you remember what I’ve done?

It’s what David is doing here in Psalm 13.
He’s reminding himself of God’s unfailing love.

And he’s choosing words of life over his discontent.

My commentary says had David doubted the reality of his trust in God, he would’ve blocked up one of the windows through which the sun of heaven delights to shine.

David chose to remember God’s faithfulness in past rescue and recall it to memory.  And in the remembering and recalling, he was readying himself for the outflow of blessing God was preparing.

And that’s the truth really, isn’t it?
God has so much more in store for you and I.  More than we could ever dream up or imagine for ourselves.  But we limit the effectiveness of His work so often times by refusing to remember all He’s brought us through.

I was asked once years ago how I knew God was real and in part my answer was, “because His fingerprints all over my life are undeniable.”
I have watched Him rescue me from the pit.
I have seen Him restore brokenness.
I have been a witness to financial breakthrough.
I have experienced radical healing.

We’ve got to remember what He’s done, recall it to memory as often as we can, repeat it out loud for all to hear, and then be ready for all He wants to do in us and through us.

Remember…. Recall… and be Ready!


No comments:

Post a Comment