Monday, December 9, 2019

This Is How They Know Me

I’ve been asking God a lot lately to give me a better perspective, especially when it comes to other people.  Because the truth really is that this time of year can especially be difficult.

My husband and I went shopping this weekend.  The malls were packed, the traffic was hectic, the lines were long, and the irritation level seemed to be at an all time high.  Admittedly there were a couple times where I could feel my impatience level increase, and discouragement rear it’s ugly head.

But then I remembered the prayer I had been praying - “Give me eyes to see like You Jesus.  Help me to love them the way You do.  Help me to be an atmosphere shifter.”

Because it really changes everything.  When we choose to live with intention to serve others, love everyone equally, and represent Him well with every fiber of our being.

We were in a particular store yesterday and we were interacting with a young lady who had been helping us rather extensively on getting the “right size” for something we were purchasing as a gift.  My bent is always to assume I am being a bother, and so I found myself apologizing many times for my expanding requests.  She didn’t seemed bothered, but I could tell it likely wasn’t something she was used to.  Oh how I can only imagine the frustration she faces dealing with masses of entitled and over-demanding people - especially during the busiest season of the year.

And I don’t always get it right.  I have been the impatient shopper.  I have been the problematic patron.  And I have done my share of misrepresenting the very Jesus I strive hard to honor daily.

But in that moment I felt God whisper to my heart - “THIS is how they know Me.”
And in that moment I realized how important my role as a Christ follower is.

Because I believe with everything in me that there’s a whole different atmosphere that exists among those who know Jesus, trust God, and are seeking after righteousness as though their very life depended on it.  There is absolutely no denying an authentic worshipper of the One true God.  The Gospel they protect affects the atmosphere they project, and in turn positively influences every environment they enter.

I cannot love Jesus well and complain about the paths of inconvenience He leads me in.
I cannot love Jesus well and fight with those who don’t think like I do or live according to my standard.
I cannot love Jesus well and maintain an irritable spirit of discontent with others He radically loves and died to save.
I cannot love Jesus well while crafting impossible demands on others who don’t yet know His love for themselves.

Let’s BE the Jesus people today.
Let’s choose to love like Him - even when it’s hard.
Let’s determine to be kind and offer grace to every soul.
Let’s extend patience and pause long enough to engage in community.
Let’s re-present Him to a world that’s tarnished His reputation by irrational living.

It matters!

<3


No comments:

Post a Comment