Monday, February 10, 2020

Uncompromisingly


In Psalm 52 we read about David wrestling with thoughts about an evil man. A liar, one who boasts about his crimes, plots destruction, and cuts with his razor-sharp tongue.

And then, as in true King David fashion, we see him turn to refocus his attention on something greater, and repurpose his affection toward God.

In verse 8 it says this, “But I am like an olive tree, thriving in the house of God. I will always trust in God’s unfailing love. I will praise You forever, O God, for what you have done. I will trust in Your good name in the presence of Your faithful people.”

The Olive Tree is a wonderful representation of remarkable beauty and usefulness. It was certainly a fitting symbol of God’s people. It is said that the Olive Tree loves fat soil and it yields the most plentiful of fruit when its bed is rich in nutriment. The Olive Tree is an evergreen, and therefore has a long life expectancy. It also “propagates itself by fresh shoots.” To propagate means = “to cause to multiply, reproduce, transmit, spread, and increase.”

David compares himself to an Olive Tree, planted in the richest of soil - His Father God.

I read this in my commentary, that an Olive Tree would not be cultivated in the tabernacle… but that it might in the courts or the “area” which surrounded it. To be cultivated means this = “prepared and used, produced or improved, educated, and refined.” A tree thus planted in the very courts of the sanctuary would be regarded, and would be safe as long as the tabernacle was safe under Divine protection.

Ahh.. David was an Olive Tree that would be prepared, used, produced, improved upon, educated, and refined, as long as he stayed close to where God was.

One of strongest principles of David’s life was to maintain a constant admission to the house of God. Many times throughout the Psalms we see attempts, just like this one, of enemies trying to drive him away and destroy not only his kingship, but his life.

David fought hard to maintain integrity in the eyes of God, despite his circumstances, and despite enemy invasions.

The sum total of David’s desires is spelled out in Psalm 27:4, “One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple.”

We can see a pattern that we, too, should take careful note of and seek for our own lives. David speaks to himself often… about himself. He makes declarations and I just imagine Him speaking these over his life. I write them down so I can remember them too:
I, who have made God my refuge, will flourish.
I do not doubt.
I will be restored.
I will be sustained.
I will propagate myself.
I trust you.

And I would write my word of the year beside it in my bible to help me remember.
Uncompromising.

And I, like David, will declare myself to be an Olive Tree too.
Full of life.
Full of fruit.
Flourishing wherever I go.
Increasing God’s family and multiplying His favor to all.

May it be said of me, as it was with David… all for Him… uncompromisingly!

No comments:

Post a Comment