Thursday, April 9, 2020

Our Mouths Matter


Two times this past week I have heard the phrase used: "We are to keep clean in this season."

Two times I have heard that SAME exact phrase used by two completely different people as it relates to the children of God and the current condition of our nation.

And it has echoed so nicely with what I think I have been saying in my heart for months now. And all the time - I believe SO MUCH - that God has been preparing my heart for the exact position we are in.

As I have been SLOWLY poring over Isaiah in the last couple weeks, I found myself stopped on verses 4-6 in chapter 12.

It says this in the NLT, "In that wonderful day you will sing: 'Thank the Lord! Praise His name! Tell the nations what He has done. Let them know how mighty He is! Sing to the Lord, for He has done wonderful things. Make known His praise around the world. Let all the people of Jerusalem shout His praise with joy! For great is the Holy One of Israel who lives among you.”

The Passion Translation says that we will, "say to one another" these things.

Oh how important it is what we SAY to one another.

And I wonder how much we truly think about it?
What we are allowing to leave our lips?
It matters all the time, of course, but it is my STRONG conviction that it matters NOW more than ever!
Why?
Because we are living in a time where great REVIVAL is upon us. And by keeping the atmosphere clean, we make a way for God to work.
And it starts with our mouths.
What we decree.
What we say.
How we say it.

Look to Jesus as our model.
He only DID what he saw the Father do and He only SAID what He heard the Father say.
Atmosphere's were shifted by actions and words.
And the same is true today.

Look at scripture that tells of the importance of staying clean:
"The Lord is far from the wicked, but He hears the prayer of the righteous." (Prov 15:29)
"If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me." (Psalm 66:18)
"Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." (James 4:3)
And I was stopped at this one in Isaiah 5:18-19, "What sorrow for those who drag their sins behind the with ropes made of lies, who drag wickedness behind them like a cart! They even mock God and say, 'Hurry up and do something! We want to see what You can do. Let the Holy One of Israel carry out His plan, for we want to know what it is."

And I noted beside this - could it be that our prayers cannot be answered because we are failing to change our lives... change the way we do things and just as importantly the way we say things.

This is not a call for positivity. This is not about "positive thinking" or even maintaining an "upbeat mindset." This is living with the language of love and obedience. This is refusing to live with anger and dissension. This is refusing to gossip and slander. This is making sure that with every breath we breathe we are honoring and glorifying God.

I was telling that to my niece and my daughter the other day - what we say NOW is more important than it has ever been. What we say about our condition, our health, our fear... and most importantly what we are saying about our God... will be the thing that defines our true surrender to Jesus and our full and complete trust in His plan!

Back to Isaiah 12... we are to:
  • TELL the nations what He has done!
  • LET THE KNOW how mighty He is!
  • SING to the Lord!
  • MAKE KNOWN His praise!
  • SHOUT with praise and joy!
It matters!
What we say matters.
In these critical days, God is looking for a remnant of believers who will rise up and declare His goodness in this land of the living.

DECLARE it.
"ARISE and shine..." (Isaiah 60)
SAY so.

It matters, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment