Thursday, July 9, 2020

It's Time To Rebuild


Elijah said it when it was his turn to call upon his God - the one true God of Israel - at the contest on Mount Carmel that he organized.

After allowing the prophets of Baal their attempt at calling on their “god”, he said to the crowd looking on, “Come over here”, and scripture tells us that he, “took twelve stones, one to represent each of the tribes of Israel, and he used the stones to rebuild the altar in the name of the Lord.”  (1 Kings 18:32)

The altar had been destroyed by those calling on a false god.
The altar had been poorly mistreated by ill-fated imposters.

And it was, indeed, time to rebuild.
And do so, “in the name of the Lord.”

And it got me thinking.
In my own life.
What needs to be rebuilt, “in the name of the Lord.”?

We see it all the time - His glorious name being destroyed, and His reputation being compromised.
So many times I am tempted to say to onlookers… those who don't yet know Jesus for themselves… and say, “I am sorry.  What you’ve been shown is not indicative of all Jesus people.”

And so maybe it’s time to rebuild.
And do so, “in the name of the Lord.”

I am going to restore broken relationships… in the name of the Lord.
I am going to use my voice more to worship my Savior… in the name of the Lord.
I am going to respect and honor leadership despite unworthiness… in the name of the Lord.
I am going to forgive the hurt and pain they caused… in the name of the Lord.
I am going to joyfully serve when it’s hardest to do so… in the name of the Lord.

I DO have control over what is constructed and I WILL rebuild in the name of the Lord!

What needs rebuilding in your life?

Make the decision today to do it… in the name of the Lord.
And then watch Him do the work that only He can do.
And when others “see for themselves”… this glorious provision from the Lord, they will claim Him for themselves.  Because He really is that irresistible.
“And when the people saw it, they fell face down on the ground and cried out, ‘The Lord - He is God!  Yes the Lord is God!”  (18:39)

No comments:

Post a Comment