Monday, February 8, 2021

Disapproved Duties


Numbers, chapter 14.
A man named Caleb.
The one who would accompany Joshua to spy on the land of Canaan and report back to Moses what was there.

And of all the men who returned to bring back a devastating report, Caleb was different.
Scripture tells us that he had, “a different attitude than the others had.”  He, “remained loyal” to the Lord.  (verse 24, NLT)

The NKJV says it this way, “But My servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit in him and has followed Me fully, I will bring into the land where he went, and his descendants shall inherit it.”

Caleb had a “different attitude”… or a “different spirit” in him.

And so the promise was that God would, “bring him into the land he explored.”  (verse 24b)

We know from a look into the chapter that the same could not be said of the others who brought back only bad news and a bleak outlook.

And a peak into the commentaries leads us to familiarize ourselves with what it means to, “follow Him fully.”

And the willing, hungry heart of mine must know.

One line jumps out at me from the commentary.  “One that follows God fully will follow Him in discountenanced duties.”

That’s an interesting word… “discountenanced.”

By definition it means this, “rejected, opposed, disapproved.”

And I’m offended at first glance.
Because in my humanness, I refuse anything that might suggest I reject, oppose, or disapprove of my duties as they relate to God’s purposes for my life.

But another thought creeps in.
I might.

I remember the time I found out the discouraging lies that were being spoken about me by someone from my past.
I prayed for the right thing to do… maybe call them out?  Retaliate against injustice?  Defend in argument?
But God gave me a clear directive to pray for her to be blessed for one full year.  Every day, for one full year.  And even though it didn’t feel good, and even though I disapproved of His methods (yikes!), I did it.  And the internal peace and revelation God gave in that season blew me away!
 

I remember the time when a friend was facing insurmountable challenges with a rude neighbor.  Daily they were being verbally harassed, mocked, and misunderstood.
When we prayed I felt so strongly that she was to offer a meal to them while praying for God to use it to bless them in significant ways.  And even though it felt “wrong” almost, and even though both of us slightly rejected the idea at first (yikes!), she did it.  And the results, though slow at first, did open a doorway to peace and unity that might never have been found.

So the question becomes… will I follow Him even when I disapprove of the duty He is calling me to?  Even when I question His motive and challenge the manner in which I am sent?

Isaiah could’ve rejected in disapproval of his duty to be sent to a people who wouldn’t listen and never understand.  But he went bravely and boldly anyway.  (Is 6)

Abraham could’ve rejected in disapproval of his duty to go and then God would show.  But he went anyway and became the father to many nations as a result.  (Gen 12)

Peter could’ve rejected in disapproval of his duty to trust God and walk on the water.  But he attempted it for Jesus anyway and became the student who would receive some of the greatest lessons the Savior ever personally imparted to His followers.  (Matt 14)

Will we follow Him when it doesn’t make sense?


When the duty is too difficult?
When the path seems all uphill?


When fear of rejection is at an all time high?

Will we follow Him in disapproved duties?



It really, really matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment