Sunday, February 11, 2018


God is so good not to leave us in our mess.

So so good!

Because if left up to us, we would wallow in for a bit.

As habit, I keep a journal beside me during prayer time, along with a pen.  Often I am moved by a thought or a word spoken, that I must write it down.

The other day as I was praying through some things I heard these words very loud in my spirit and took pen to paper immediately, “Often we’re frustrated because we’re not holding up our end of the bargain.”

Ouch.

And I guess I hadn’t even realized the frustration in my prayer until those words dropped in.

And it could be true.

Maybe sometimes we pray for the wrong things.
Not incorrectly… just inappropriately.

We pray for God to intervene in our marriage… but we continue to place unrealistic expectations on “their” need to change, while we remain unwilling to do the hard self-evaluating work ourselves.
We pray for God to heal our sick bodies… but we maintain unhealthy habits that keep us in a cycle of defeating doctor visits.
We pray for that rude co-worker to be found out and written up… but we choose to respond with retaliation to her gross behavior, and gossip about her to the first person who will listen.
We pray for more godly relationships in our lives, and deeper connections with people… but we aren’t willing to do the hard work of being a good friend and living a life inconvenienced for others.

And perhaps we’re praying for things He can’t answer… because the work isn’t with them… it’s with us.  And until we’re willing to see the change needed within, we’ll remain frustrated by what we’re not seeing happen without.

He always gives us options for obedience.

Always.

May I evaluate my frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment