Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Being a Kingdom Carrier

I wish I could tell you that I get it right every day.
I don't.
But God is working on this heart of mine.
And I try to come as a willing vessel for the indwelling and the filling every single day.
And oh how He's stretching me and molding me.

Last week I learned some pretty devastating news that struck this heart of mine, completely catching me off guard.

I didn't see it coming.
I wasn't expecting it.
And the words hurt.
They hurt when I heard them, and they've continued to sting since.

Because even when we think we've done our best... loved well, taken the high road, and removed ourselves from damaging environments... hurting people still hurt people.

And when I learned about the injurious rumor and the lie associated with it, my heart ached.
And if the truth is being told, it still aches.
But perhaps for more reasons today.

Because my prayer for many years now has been this: Break my heart for the things that break yours, God.
And maybe this is my chance to participate in that breaking.

Because maintaining an offended spirit is not the Jesus way.
Refusing grace to hurting people is not the Jesus way.
Finding fault and demanding retaliation even in my thought life, is not the Jesus way.

And I started to think about my response to the hurt. And God in His patience and loving-kindness whispered it to my heart. It was like salve to my Spirit... "There's a better way I have for you."

And hesitantly at first, and rather reluctantly I added her name to my prayer list. The one who inflicted much pain with a sharp razor-like tongue.

And I would pray this: God bless her.

Hard words from pen to paper.
But it's the only way I change
And it's the only way I carry kingdom realities into the broken areas of this world.

And the next day I would return to the page.
The one with her name scribbled across the top.
And I would pray again. This time: God bless her. Bring her an abundance of joy today. Overwhelm her with your kindness and grace today. May her heart be radically changed by You.

It's not easy praying for those who have hurt you.
But it's the Jesus way.
And it's the only way the world around me begins to change.

Because I realize at the core of my being that I have a responsibility. And that responsibility is to be a Kingdom Carrier.
If they can't see Jesus in me, then the problem is with me. Not them.

If we don't begin praying for those who've hurt us, the enemy will continue to hurt us through them and we will bring others into the hurt with us.

It's a ridiculous cycle of pain and suffering.

We cannot afford to live a life that distracts and damages the souls of other people.

Retaliation is returning like for like, especially evil for evil.
And it's destroying HIS reputation when those created in His image insist upon it.

Scripture is clear: “But to you who are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies! Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you." Luke 6:27-28

It's the Jesus way.
And it's the only way we carry kingdom realities into broken situations.

It matters!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment