Thursday, December 31, 2020

Sunbeams and a New Year

 


I was nearly blinded by it last week on my way back to my hometown for the funeral of one of my dearest friends.  As mixed emotions overwhelmed me, and as I was just preparing to exit off the turnpike nearing 2 hours into my trip, the sun started to shine brightly.  

What had started out as a typical dreary midwestern December day, was shifting to a vibrant bright morning.  And I snapped this photo just as I was getting ready to exit the long road that has become quite familiar to me in my recent travels “back home.”

For a few miles I could see a clear separation between where I had been… and where I was going.
The clouds loomed ominous behind me.  Dark.  Gloomy.  Dismal.  Hopeless.  But just in front of me… on the brink of where I was headed… the blue sky with an amber glow graciously greeted me.  Bright.  Radiant.  Brilliant.  Hopeful.

And I said it out loud to myself in the car, “Yes, God, I see it.  I see it!”
My response matched my confidence that the Lord, in His kindness, had composed this beautiful symphony just for me.

Because something in me needed to be reminded that what lies behind me is not what needs to occupy my mind.  That where I have been is only meant to consume as small of a space as that rearview mirror.  Because what’s coming… is far greater than what I’m leaving behind.

And as I stand on the brink of a new year I am reminded of all the year has contained:

  • fear
  • isolation
  • anxiety
  • frustration
  • loss
  • worry
  • regret

But I stand to remember that only in light of the sunbeams that dominate:

  • joy
  • strength
  • faithfulness
  • love
  • grace
  • kindness
  • victory

And I make a promise to myself and to God.
I will look ahead.
I will keep my eyes laser focused on Him and what He’s doing.
Not only in the world, but in my heart.
And I will count it all joy.
I will count it ALL joy.

Because where I have been is not where I am going.
He’s doing new things in the earth, and I will be a part of “remaining in Him” (John 15), and rejoicing in the confidence that I, like David, “will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.” (Ps 27:13)

I don’t want to miss what’s coming because I’m too fixated on what hasn’t worked, and what didn’t happen, and what could've been.

“For I am about to do something new.  See, I have already begun!  Do you not see it?  I will make a pathway through the wilderness.  I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.” (Is 43:19)

And it’s time to stop living like we don’t believe that’s true.

Thank you, 2020.
Welcome, 2021.

You have my attention, God.
I’m walking in with You!
Boldly.  Bravely.  Victoriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment